This lecture and practical session, developed by the Merrithew® team, explores the anatomy and biomechanics involved in a normal healthy functioning shoulder girdle region then applies these fundamentals in an effort to optimize function. Theory-based work reviews the musculoskeletal components, integrated model of joint stability and functional muscle classification system within the context of the shoulder girdle region. Participants then learn how to apply the STOTT PILATES biomechanical principles of core stability, breathing and alignment to a variety of exercises and develop recognition of optimal and non-optimal movement patterns. Modifications and variations are presented using a number of small props as well as their application to individual scenarios.
- Learn STOTT PILATES exercises relevant to optimizing function of the shoulder girdle region
- Learn exercise goals, muscular initiation and movement sequencing to maximize outcomes
- Learn effective communication, verbal cues and imagery for performance enhancement and corrective strategies
- Understand the integrated model of joint stability and the functional muscle classification system within the context of the shoulder girdle region
- Review the functional anatomy of the shoulder girdle region